A Biryani is a meal that has rice for its base ingredient. It is like the famous fried rice in oriental countries like China and the Philippines. Egg Biryani is a delicious combination of egg, rice, and all the fabulous, stimulating flavors and spices. The coconut element definitely heightens the richness of the dish more, making it a very satisfying meal all on its own. You definitely want to have this after a hectic day. So tuck in!
- 5 eggs
- ½ c grated coconut
- 1 large onion
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (chopped)
- 3 ½ c water
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 5 chilis (green)
- 2 Laurel or Bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon powdered turmeric
- 2 teaspoons powdered coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Pour oil in the heated pan. Saute the green chillis and onions. Set aside.
- Combine the sauted chilli and onions with grated coconut, garlic, ginger, powdered turmeric, and powdered coriander. You can add water. Set aside.
- Heat the pan and pour a bit of oil. Fry the cardamom, cumin, cinnamon, and Laurel leaves.
- Add the paste that you previously made. Cook this for about 4 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the water and the rice. Mix thoroughly. Cook covered for about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Boil eggs in a separate pot. Cool, peel, slice into thin rings.
- Arrange the eggs around the serving plate.
- Place the cooked Egg Biryani at the center.
1. Fry the cardamom with its skin on.
2. Frying the spices makes the oil fragrant.
3. Add the rice first into the fragrant oil for it to absorb the flavors.
Serve the dish while the rice is still hot in a plate big enough to contain even the garnish.